At the time R. F. Dilday first started in the "undertaking" business, coffins were put together at the funeral home or at a general store that kept a stock of caskets. It was the custom then for families to select interiors and hardware which would be assembled on appropriate sized coffins.
In 1909, Mr. Dilday bought a supply of coffins from John Carter of Carter and Fowler Hardware and set up business in the back of the old Crews and Nesbitt store building. Fourteen years later, he bought a vacant lot on East Main Street and erected a building, which housed the Dilday and Son Funeral Home.
Haywood Kerr Dilday, older son of R. F. and Etta Kerr Dilday, joined his father in the business soon after graduation from Gupton Embalming School in Nashville. "Scoop" was nineteen years old at that time. In 1932, he died at the age of twenty-five. His brother, Robert Leighton Dilday, who was a student at Union University in Jackson, returned home to join his father in the operation of the family business.
In 1946, the home of Haywood and Amelia Priest was purchased and the funeral home was moved to what is now the west visitation room of Dilday Funeral Home. The Ivy Williams Teachout home was purchased in 1962 for an east chapel. In 1968, the two buildings were connected.
Robert L. Dilday continued to operate the funeral home until his retirement in April of 1985. He died on August 17, 1985.
In 1993, the stock of Dilday Funeral Home was purchased from the Dilday family heirs by long time employees Roy Bozeman and Danny Carter. The two continued the Dilday tradition taught to them by Robert Dilday. Upon Danny's death in October 2001 his son, Steve purchased his stock. In May 2004, Roy retired after 26 years of service with Dilday Funeral Home and Steve purchased his stock making him the sole owner and manager of the funeral home.
The funeral home acquired Carroll Memorial Gardens and Mausoleum in 1997. This perpetual care cemetery is one of the most beautiful cemeteries in Tennessee and is located on Hwy 22 between Huntingdon and McKenzie.
When the county moved to the new office complex on High Street, the property directly across the street from Dilday Funeral Home became vacant. This property was the old Church of Christ building and was also used for many years by the county for the library and other county offices. Dilday Funeral Home purchased the property from the county and after a complete renovation made this the Chapel. This beautiful facility is used for funerals with a seating capacity of over 300.
As more families choose cremation as a means of final disposition, Dilday Funeral Home saw the need to add another facility to serve the needs of our families. In October of 2001, Dilday Funeral Home opened Northwest Tennessee Crematory. This facility is located on the grounds of Carroll Memorial Gardens and is equipped with state of the art cremation equipment. There is an office with a viewing area for families if needed.
In October 2008, Dilday Funeral Home began construction on our new facility located at 650 High Street.